The following is part of the GPS Alumni-Student Connections Series, highlighting some of our students who have been recruited by our alumni. This series shows the power of connection between current students and our alumni.
Justin Lee ’14, a corporate philanthropy advisor at Southern California Edison (SCE), shares his perspective on why he chooses to aid GPSers in their career search. Lee has hired and/or helped hire several GPS students within the past couple of years.
Why did you choose to hire a fellow “GPSer”?
Students from GPS possess valuable skills to the workforce. In addition to the technical research, problem solving and analytical skills, the soft skills have also been a factor. GPS students are pleasant to work with, hard-working, inquisitive, diligent and helpful.
What tips do you have for students about the hiring process?
- Tailor your resume to make it relevant to the position.
- Show you’ve done your homework during the interview process and ask questions pertaining to the role and the company.
- Reach out to GPS alumni for informational interviews.
- Identify the roles you want five or ten years from now to see the qualifications and experience needed to get there.
- Always write a thank you note!